Sometimes it can be difficult to distinguish between smaller bluefin tuna and yellowfin tuna, especially because they tend to lose their coloring after a long fight. Here are a few pointers to help you identify the difference between bluefin tuna and yellowfin tuna, which have different regulations.
➤ Bluefin Tuna
1. The pectoral fin of bluefin do not reach past the beginning of the second dorsal fin.
2. The silver underside of a bluefin’s body is marked with white dots and uneven lines.
3. The second dorsal fin is a mix of grey and yellow in color.
4. The tail fin is dark blue in color.
➤ Yellowfin Tuna
1. The pectoral fin of yellowfin reaches just beyond the beginning of the second dorsal fin.
2. The second dorsal fin has yellow coloring.
3. The tail fin has yellow and grey coloring.
To purchase your NMFS Atlantic tuna permit, visit https://hmspermits.noaa.gov.