In this episode of Living off the Land and Sea, Andy Nabreski hops aboard Gorilla Tactics Sportfishing with Captain Diogo Godoi to target longfin squid in Nantucket Sound. After filling a bucket of these tasty krakens, Andy cleans the squid, preps them for the grill, and whips up some delicious Chorizo-Stuffed Calamari.
Recipe for the Grilled Chorizo-Stuffed Calamari
1 pound calamari tubes
3⁄4 cup fine fresh breadcrumbs
1/3 cup whole milk
3⁄4 teaspoon fennel seeds
1⁄2 pound ground chorizo
2 large garlic gloves, minced
1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Soak the breadcrumbs in milk in a large bowl.
- Toast fennel seeds in a small skillet (not nonstick) over medium-low heat, shaking skillet occasionally, until fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Chop fennel seeds (or even better grind in a mortar and pestle) and add to breadcrumb mixture along with chorizo, garlic, paprika, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Gently mix until well blended. Using a small spoon, loosely stuff squid tubes with fennel chorizo, leaving a half-inch space at top. Seal them up with wooden toothpicks.
- Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium heat for gas). Coat stuffed tubes with oil and season with salt.
- Oil grill grates, then grill stuffed squid, uncovered, turning frequently, until golden in spots and an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of filling registers 145 degrees, about 13 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter.
- Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with parsley.
- Bubba Kitchen Knife Set
- Bubba 7′ Tidal Pro Spinning Medium Light Power and Fast Action
- Bubba Seaker 10L Sling Pack
Squid Jigs used