Cape Cod Fishing Report -October 1, 2015

Jon Kaine spent the weekend in Falmouth to do some fishing and attend StriperFest. He found a mix of big bluefish, albies, and bonito by trolling the Sebile Bull Minnow he received with his Striper Cup Sign Up package!

Before the storm, fishing was looking good all around Cape Cod. Albie action was hot, the bluefin bite was on fire, and bass fishing was heating up. While the wet and windy weather may temporarily cool the fishing, most anglers agree, the best of the fall is yet to come.

On Martha’s Vineyard, the albie fishing was good through Wednesday according to Coop at Coop’s Bait and Tackle. On Thursday morning, in the heavy north winds, Coop and his group of fishermen hooked and dropped a couple, but the action was markedly slower. False albacore don’t like silted up and weedy water brought on by stormy conditions, and may ride out the weather farther offshore. Striper fishing is picking up on the Vineyard, Coop said. There are many small fish around, which is usually a good sign that the fall run is gaining momentum. Though the water on the Vineyard is a mess at the moment, Coop said the abundant schools of peanut bunker mullet , and spearing will bring the fish right back in when conditions calm down after the weekend.

Wasque breached reported Steve at Larry’s Tackle. As bait poured out of the breach, bluefish were feeding on one side while albies blitzed on the other. Steve expects this breach to be a bass hotspot in the near future with all the baitfish in the area. Though the water has dirtied some, Steve reported that albies are still being caught in Edgartown Harbor and Menemsha. For bigger bluefish, Steve recommends chunking with bunker or butterfish right now. There have been some barndoor skates around providing momentary thrills when they take a chunk bait intended for blues or stripers. Once the angler realizes the tremendous weight on his line is not a Derby-winning fish, the excitement fades and the work of landing the big skate begins.

More stripers were reported on the South Side this week. Bill at Sports Port said eels and plugs are casting Nantucket Sound stripers right now. Jeff at Forestdale has been finding keeper stripers after dark around Popponesset. Cotuit is also holding some bass. Schools of adult bunker in the area have also attracted some large bluefish, Jeff reported. Fishermen live-lining the big baitfish have been hooking 10-pound-plus blues.

On his fifth weekend of albie chasing, Eddie Podgurski was able to caught his first false albacore, and then four more, while casting from a South Side beach.

Albies and bonito were still popping up off the South Side as of Wednesday reported the Sports Port crew. Jeff at Forestdale said shore fishermen were hooking albies at Cotuit, Popponesset and Osterville. One angler was even having success at Craigville beach, blind-casting. While many fishermen wait to see feeding albies to make a cast, keeping your lure in the water gives you a shot at the albies that are cruising by and not breaking the surface.

Canal fishing has been good reported Stan at Red Top. Albies have been moving into the West End most mornings, and stripers of all sizes, from small schoolies to 20-plus-pounders are taking plugs and jigs.  Casting pencil poppers and the Savage Sand Eel during the early morning has been the ticket for stripers. Jigging the bottom at night has also been productive reported Stan.

Bluefin fishing was on fire this week. Captain Bobby Rice of Reel Deal Charters have several multiple fish days, including an incredible 7 for 7 outing, using spinning gear. East of Chatham, Captain John of Fish Chatham Charters reported that the full moon, along with the weeds brought offshore by the large moon tides made for challenging tuna trolling over the weekend.  John still managed a few tuna in the 45- to 50-inch class and a thresher shark. The current weather has put a stop to the tuna fishing for now, but when the seas calm, the tuna will still be there.

The fall trout stocking maybe be taking place in the next two weeks reported Jeff at Forestdale. Only a selected few waters receive a shipment of trout in the fall, and all can be found HERE. Peter’s Pond is on the fall stocking route, and with trout fishing there already excellent according to Jeff, it should be phenomenal when the fresh trout go in.

Thanks to everyone who attended StriperFest last Saturday. We'll see you next year!

Thanks to everyone who attended StriperFest last Saturday. We’ll see you next year!

Best Bets for the Weekend

You won’t be getting out on the boat this weekend. Even some shore spots will be too rough and dangerous to fish. Safety must be your first priority when dealing with the storm swell and wind-driven whitecaps this weekend. You’ll be better off finding a protected lee and fishing there. Parts of the Canal may offer such a refuge, and in stormy conditions, good fishing could happen at any time of the day or night. The South Side may be another option, but as of Wednesday, extremely high tides in some areas made fishing difficult. If you’d rather ride out the storm(s) in the comfort of your own home, I suggest preparing your tackle for the next phase of the fall run, when some of the biggest stripers of the year will be moving through Cape Cod waters.

1. ed

No need to gill that albie, probably not the best way to do it. To all googans, when you release a false albacore u need to throw/launch it head first into the water to get it off and swimming. I cringe every time I see some tool trying to revive it like a bass. They will sink right to the bottom if not handled and released properly.

• mark

Just a comment on fishing reports..Spent 4 days fishing the canal and the only fish I saw were small stripers and small bluefish …One guy catching a keeper out of a hundred plus fisherman is not a blitz or fish over 20lbs to 30lbs..Stop the bull…What would be nice, is a report about how many walmart fisherman are going to show up to fish…I just love these guys .They pedal there bikes up and down the canal, sit around and tell fishing stories.. No wonder the reports are good…

• Steve

90% of fish are caught by 10% of fisherman… Unfortunately for you, you are not one of us…

• Budman

90% of the fishermen catch 10% of the fish.
          That nonsense has been peddled for years by the self anointed experts.
          Please be a good man and educate the ignorant masses.
          How was this conclusion arrived at and what scientific method(s) was used ?
          Or is this exactly what it appears to be, a baseless bromide, repeated forever, to prove that elite fishing prowess is the domain of a special few ?
          Lets be honest folks, if you have a cursory knowledge of the activity and grasp of the fundamentals, the rest is luck. The ability to actually go is the main skill. That’s a luxury many don’t have.
          A week of slack east tides at dawn in the canal is magic. Except if you can’t be there. If this week was your fishing vacation week, oh well. Better luck next year, etc,etc.
          The more you go the more you catch. That’s the skill.
          Also, to the self anointed “10% ers”, please don’t volunteer any unsolicited advice. You people are insufferable enough already.
          All’s not lost though, you “sharpies” can revel in the words of George Costanza, “It’s not a lie if you believe it.”

• Bob

“That nonsense has been peddled for years by the self anointed experts. Please be a good man and educate the ignorant masses.”

“Also, to the self anointed “10% ers”, please don’t volunteer any unsolicited advice.”

lol. Rant much?

• John

Just a thought to anyone here that is relying on a fishing report…if waiting for a report to go fishing theres a good chance you’ve already missed it…ive been out last few days in numerous locations on the cape and have had very good results…stop basing your fishing on reports and go make your own ull become a much more successful fisherman

• mark

Just a little side note..I been fishing the canal for over 40yrs.Im 52.. My father,brother.and myself fished the canal for one reason..Its a place you can fish 24-7 and never know whats going to happen..Ive spent more time on the canal that I care to mention..Ive fish for days on end when there wasnt a soul on the canal and read about schools of fish from one end to the other..I understand the better the report the more customers tackle shops will get..I get it..I just dont need more walmart fishermen showing up….PS..hey Budman,,How many 50lb stripers have you caught????

2. Crash

Why don’t you guys report on CC Bay anymore? Last I checked it was still part of Cape Cod.

3. Eddie P

Ed. I understand that’s not the best way to hold the fish. In fact I am very well versed in catch A beautiful fish, snap a picture, and release. Especially the Albees going headfirst. Mainly because I eat nothing that comes out of our beautiful ocean. Everything I catch, get set free. Actually, seconds before that picture was snapped, I nearly took a Dixie into the drink. The rocks where I was fishing, ark covered with nasty squid and crab claws the lowlifes leave after cutting there be all over the rocks. Yes cutting near me on the rocks. Along with blood, guts, and more trash in a landfill. God willing, with all these torrential rains were supposed to have, all the slop and nastiness will be washed off the rocks. Unfortunately the trash won’t go anywhere until we pick it up. Oh yeah, it was an incredible day catching five funny fish from shore.

• Budman

Yeah, sure, you’re “well versed” in releasing fish.
      What was that, the one time you F’ed up ? Riiigggghhhhtttt. I bet.
      It’s catch and release moron, not kill and release. Cripes, you choked that thing more than you choked your chicken !
      The Waquoit Bay jetty Strangler !
      You made a grey seal very happy.
      Oh, BTW, we all got your racist subtext in your trash screeds.
      “Those people” (i.e. scup fisherman/immigrants) are criminal litterers. Haha. Nice easy target for your hate. (you realize that your forebears were
      “those ” people. We don’t have Polish jokes for nothing).
      Obviously some certainly are. Go to every scup spot and you will observe the same situation.
      However, go to every stiper spot, on shore or off shore and you will see the exact same behavior. But of course, we’re the “right’ people. This very publication had an article about striper violators. I’d wager a few shekels that that’s SOP for most of the commercial/tournament season, never mind the recreational people. We’ve all run into those situations . We all know the tricks: Filet and release… No one will mind. Plus we ‘re grilling later… Ya know, the radar is clear and there’s a million birds working a mile off, if we
      go past that pesky EEZ line… Drift over state lines ? No worries… Oops, the wind blew that trash off the boat/beach… 27 inches?It’s going to die anyway so we wouldn’t want it to go to waste would we. And besides, it’s my daughters first “keeper”… That line I stripped off my reel just fell out of my surf bag. Honest…. ETC,ETC..
      Face it Ed. You are not well versed in releasing a fish. Not at all. If you were, you never would have struck that pose and given your real name.
      You just want to be The Man.
      Ok .Yay. Ed’s The Man. (slow/clap)
      Next time just keep it.
      You must approve of the canal “sharpies” who drag a hooked schoolie up the barnacle encrusted rocks, grab it by the gills for a bunch of photos, measures it for 5 minutes hoping it magically grows to 28 inches, then grudgingly and under protest, release it by grabbing it by the gills again and heaving high into the air so it hits every barnacle encrusted rock all the way down to the six inches of water where it listlessly flaps its tail in its death throes. Good times.
      I’m going to do you an unpaid favor. And I never do that so pay heed.
      Eds’ Xmas list :
      Lip grips
      Extra long needle nose pliers, I mean the real weird long ones
      Selfie stick, whoa, better yet, a….
      Go Pro head camera
      Hell, get both
      Practice all winter Sporto !
      On behalf of the fish : We thank you !

• seadog

Eddie P glad to see you finally got yours. You and I fished that spot the same mornings a few weeks in a row in Sept. Don’t let all the internet tough guys bring down the glory of getting your first funny fish. The fact of the matter is they’re just regurgitating the same BS that someone feed them when they were first learning to fish. Learn a little about ichthyology especially as it pertains to pelagic species; yes fish like Albies and Bonito are ram-gill ventilators (they require flow across the gills to breathe) but that doesn’t mean that holding their gill plate will have any affect on a successful release.

• Budman

Er…
        Ya, holding any fish by the gills will kill and or injure it. Idiot. We’re all amazed by your profound ignorance. Ichthyology . Cripes all holy. I bet you think a sailfish was caught in the canal.
        Repeat after me Cousteau :
        If you gill it you kill it.

• Eddie P

Hey. Hows things. No worries. Thank you. It was pretty exciting. We definitely put the time in. Hopefully we’ll see ya back there again this year.

4. Eddie P

LOL… Siri sucks. Sorry for the typo guys and gals. What I was meaning to say, was the most of the jetty is covered in slime of squid remains, crab claws n scup guts. Yes, these low life’s cut up their fish and bait on the boulders and just leave everything laying on the rocks. Making it a nasty hazard. Along w tons n tons of trash, without blinking an eye. So, I am sorry for the way that fish was being held, it was released seconds after. If I do say so myself, it wasn’t a bad three hours of fishing w good group of guys. Minus the idiots that refuse to pull up their “bottom fishing” scup lines when you have one of these bad boys on.
    Thank you to my new friend, that helped me land one of my fish, after being hung up to the scup fisherman that decided to cast over me, while fighting the Albie.
    Peace.

• budman

Ed, Ed, Ed,
      C’mon man. Get a hold of yourself. You’re killing us.
      I’m going to make you my special project. A make over if you will. Again, this is free so absorb it.
      Lesson Two : Never. And I mean NEVER, use LOL or a smiley emoticon 😉 when talking to dudes. Holy Bejeezuz !! Only, and albeit under certain circumstances, ONLY use those things when communicating with a hot chick.

5. Jeff

You may as well just leave the buzzards bay name out of your fishing reports since this week there was not a single mention and normally there is maybe one crumby sentence or two. Also you guys seem to fail to realize that buzzards bay extends down to westport and those of us who fish there would appreciate some reports.

6. SSS

A lot of freakin complainers on here, I love On The Water, enough with the whining, if you are actually lucky enough to live in CC or nearby and have time to fish, then you should be happy and stop berating the OTW staff.

7. Markie Sea Dog

Iam so P-d off every time I go to the ditch.
    People just don’t care anymore
    The trash,rotten bait,and the idiots that flock there make me cherish my mooring in Plymouth harbor even more
    The guy that mentioned the lack of reports of the bay is correct
    Also the so called reports are not accurate not even close,us fisherman who still truly love and respect our coastal waters are on our own
    I just wish people would take their nasty messes with them when they leave
    People S++k!!!!!!

8. Mark

Been fishing the canal for a lot of years and it gets more and more crowded every year. I find myself fishing the cape side more as there seems to be a better class of fishermen on that side. I also see less trash on the cape side. I believe the mainland side has more ignorant people who have no regard for the canal, leaving trash and no etiquette or respect for other people or the fish that they kick back into the water instead of releasing them to insure their survival. I also believe that the majority of the fishermen are like myself, friendly, helpful and respectful to others and handle fish in a professional manner. Unfortunately there will always be the scumbags that will try and ruin this beautiful area but the majority of us will be there to clean up and will continue to enjoy our time spent catching fish and making friends.

• Budman

Mark
      You are exactly right. The canal has become a sad and telling commentary on society. I’ve often wondered if it’s the 28 inch limit. The Tour de canal crowd is also very irksome. There once was a time you biked to a spot where you would fish for a whole tide, not bike up and down, see a guy hooked up, then stop and pretty much stand on his shoulders.
      Even though the #@%^&$# seals have pretty much ruined it, I’ve been walking, casting again Outer Cape style. Nice break from the canal. And the few fish one does catch are things of beauty. (one full moon night a pod of whales splashed around. No fish but …)
      You’re a guy I could fish next to but I don’t share your optimism about our fellow anglers.
      I hope I’m wrong.

9. Greg

So I have been reading the reports all season and it is my first saltwater season. I have posted a few times here and there but one thing I would love to know is if there are people who are willing to take newbies under their wing to teach them the proper respectful etiquette. For example I would love for someone to set up a time for myself and my children to teach us how to properly fish the canal and to help teach my children the rights and wrongs of fishing etiquette. Like proper releasing methods, safety and environmental awareness. I know that the majority of it is common sense but having it taught helps to bring home the message. But not only teaching what to do and what not to do but teaching techniques for multiple environments and conditions. What bait to use and when to use it or when to switch baits. For example. I fish almost primarily at night due to my work and home schedule. I also live an hour from the Cape, but when I am sitting in the middle of the night at the canal for hours throwing live sand eels with not a single bite what should I do? Call off the night and go home or should I know to change out my bait for something like a top water plug or a swim bait or chunk mackerel. Finally, I carry a single tackle box with me that weighs close to 20 lbs with all of my tackle in it. Is it really necessary or should I try to keep certain things for certain places. If there is a person or group out there that has fishing lessons like swimming lessons someone please let me know. I would love to enroll myself and my children.

10. Fisherooni

This thread has more unpleasant trash talk than my fantasy football league (which I quit because I wanted to actually have fun).

Greg, good questions. The Canal is tough and it’s not an ideal spot to start fishing or teach kids, to be honest. The rocks, heavy gear needed, unpredictability, and yes, localism makes it probably the worst place to teach kids to cast or put them on fish. I’m no pro but I’m betting most of the grumpy proud locals won’t help you because they want the public resource to themselves and their friends. So be it. I hope they prove me wrong here….

Like I said I’m no pro but I look to this website for a lot of the local info. I think the writers here have the right attitude and share enough without spoiling things for the hardcore. As for other sources, I recommend shopping around at bait shops and, after buying something, ask a few questions about what the stripers, or blues, etc. are doing. Pick a quiet time so the proprietor doesn’t make others wait or fear looking bad in front of his/her regulars. I also find that the fishing departments at Dick’s and other big stores have friendly, reasonably knowledgeable folks whose job it is to helpfully answer questions.

Look at state websites for general info on fish species, regulations, and some fishing tips. And of course, buy a license, which to me is the only step that one needs to take be “entitled” to fish our public waters.

Try party boats. Great for kids, and like at Dick’s, Bass Pro, etc., their staff are service and instruction minded.

As for canal and other location etiquette, I’d do as the Romans do. If guys are spaced 100 yards apart, follow the lead. If the water is running and everyone’s casting upstream and letting lures swing in the current down stream, don’t cast down stream obviously. If possible, keep enough distance so that if your neighbor casts at you and you at him, the lures wouldn’t reach each other. A good analogy is being a hacker golfer: if you’re playing with scratch golfers and are making 10s, pick up your ball so you don’t spoil the round.

Pack comprehensively but light. Have an array of baits but don’t see you need a huge stash of every color of every type. If you can’t comfortably haul everything in a backpack or satchel you probably don’t need it all.

Fellas, I gave a fellow angler, a stranger, a tip the other day and it helped him catch a nice schoolie during a blitz that dozens of guys were fishing. It was a pleasure to have everyone catching fish. This isn’t necessarily zero sum here, and no one person owns the ocean or the shore (check the law). A little courtesy and pleasantness in all directions isn’t a bad thing. Kumbaya 😉

11. H.T

Fisherooni,

You hit that right on the spot. Perfectly said!! COURTESY IN ALL DIRECTIONS ISN’T A BAD THING.

tight lines

12. Greg

Thank you for the tips. I should have been more clear though. I was using the canal as an example. I really wanted to know if there is someone who teaches saltwater fishing in general and can teach the difficultyear of places like the canal. But again I thank you for all of the tips. And if there is no such thing as for what I search for, there really should be. It would help to land home the joys and responsibilities of fishing.